Indie survival horror/Metroidvania title Dark Matter shines its light through the darkness of Steam’s vast catacombs.
Dark Matter might be just the kind of game that horror gamers might want to fire up this time of year. Set on a derelict spacecraft, Dark Matter plunges you into the role of an ensign who’s awoken from cryosleep to find that her shipmates are all just rotting corpses and the vessel has been possessed by some kind of parasitic organism.
- 14 levels set in a gritty tale of deep space survival
- Four weapons, each with four ammo types
- The ability to collect scrap and alien resources to craft tools and health packs
- Specialized weapon upgrades that enable players to develop their own combat techniques
- Complex enemy AI that reacts to player actions and tactics
- Non-linear exploration and storytelling
- Elemental ammo effects enabling gamers to freeze, dissolve, electrocute or set fire to their enemies
- Light and darkness are integral parts of gameplay, not just visual touches
- Uncompromisingly real-time light and shadow casting for spine-tingling moments of pure, darkness-fuelled terror
- Clean, hand-painted textures and custom-shading techniques are combined in a unique visual style
- Dynamic soundtrack that adapts to gameplay circumstances
With a pretty nice side-scrolling aesthetic and some very sharp looks and lighting effects, Dark Matter is a kind of new-school, old-school game. It might look like a classic side-scroller in form, but in practice the game actually has a crafting mechanic (where you collect parts to make weaponry and health kits) and a deep story that plays out not only in the in-game action, but also in tons of hidden collectibles scattered about the ship.
Dark Matter is available now on GOG.com and now Steam. You can pick it up for 10% off the regular price right now, for $13.49 USD.
Continue Reading >>> Source link