The Children of the Danu are the primary antagonists in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: Wrath of the Druids. As the title of the expansion implies, you’ll be fighting this druidic cult during the main story, though other members can be encountered as you’re exploring Ireland. Threatened by the growing influence of Christianity, these pagans are set to destabilize the rule of High King Flann Sinna. Anyway, here’s our guide to help you locate and take out all Children of the Danu members in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: Wrath of the Druids.
Note: For more information, you can check out our Assassin’s Creed Valhalla guides and features hubs for the base game and the expansion. Likewise, please be reminded that this guide contains spoilers.
Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: Wrath of the Druids – Children of the Danu guide
As you progress the story in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: Wrath of the Druids, you’ll see an incident where Flann Sinna’s troops get poisoned. To clear Barid’s name, Ciara asks you to visit a friendly druid named Deirdre. You’re informed about the Children of the Danu, a cult that revels in destruction in the name of the pagan gods (quite unlike the more peaceful druids that remain in Ireland).
Think of this group as akin to the Cult of Kosmos in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and the Order of the Ancients in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla‘s base game campaign. The group has a panel on your menu so you can track them. As you find clues, the location of the Danu cultist is revealed and you can have that marked on your map. Just eliminate the target and confirm the kill. Oh, and remember that assassination leads to an automatic kill confirmation as well.
Anyway, you can refer to the pages below for the parts that you need help with:
- I. Starting point – The Wren and The Cursed
- II. Later in your adventures – The Seed and The Deer
- III. Out in the wild – The Spider, The Blaze, The Whisper, The Mist, and The Ash
- IV. The Leader – The Oak
- V. Amber Sun – The Balor and the Gae Bolg spear
The Wren and The Cursed
These are the first two Children of Danu that you’ll face in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: Wrath of the Druids. Clues to find The Wren will be given once you have the “Potion of Blood” main quest.
- Search the hut at Port Auley in northern Connacht.
- Check the ritual stones in Lough Gara. It’s a lake to the east of Drumanone and Kesh Corran (also in Connacht).
- The Wren is chilling in Rathcrogan’s town square near the wicker man.
After eliminating The Wren, return to Deirdre and she’ll tell you about The Cursed. You’ll need to investigate the village of Tuam in western Connacht. Then, you’ll go to a marked location while Ciara is following you.
Here, you’ll encounter a púca, a creature from Irish culture. Ciara surmises that the púca simply took on the form of a werewolf. However, it’s more likely that the hallucinogenic fog is playing tricks on Eivor’s brain.
You’ll have a short fight against the werewolf, so try to avoid its lunging attacks and bites. After dropping its HP a bit, it’ll run away. Follow it to a ritual area called Lackanscaul.
Note: It’s possible to encounter a bug during this fight. The script where the werewolf would run away wouldn’t fire, or it’d be “neutral” (i.e., it’ll just walk around Eivor). If the battle doesn’t end after dropping the werewolf’s health significantly, or if you notice that you can’t damage it anymore, you’ll have to reload an earlier save.
If things work out fine, then you’ll battle several druids once you reach Lackanscaul. The hostiles include the so-called werewolf/púca, and Ciara will still be helping you out.
After defeating your foes, you’re done with this part of the main quest. You can progress the rest of the story until you’re asked to eliminate The Seed and The Deer. Let’s talk about those fellas in the next section of our Children of the Danu guide.
The Seed and The Deer
Later in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: Wrath of the Druids‘ campaign, you’ll fight two more Children of the Danu. This is part of a main quest called “The Wages of War.”
The target for “The Wages of War” is actually The Seed. However, his location won’t be revealed until you eliminate The Deer. Here are the clues:
- The first clue is obtained after killing The Cursed.
- The second clue comes from a note found in the Ardmel Trade Post in eastern Ulster.
- You’ll find The Deer roaming around in Inch Lough Neagh in eastern Ulster.
- The first clue is given once you have “The Wages of War” quest. Go to Movilla Abbey in southeastern Ulster to pick up the letter.
- You’ll receive the second clue after killing The Deer.
- The Seed is in Dunseverick Fortress at the northeastern tip of Ulster.
After defeating The Seed, you should have an idea as to who’s leading the Children of the Danu. Before we get to that, let’s talk about the remaining cult members in the next part of our guide.
The Children of the Danu who aren’t part of the main quests
There are five Children of the Danu cultists who aren’t part of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: Wrath of the Druids‘ campaign.
- Win the drinking game in Dublin.
- Check the tallest tree in Dublin. It’s actually the large tree with yellow leaves that has the offering shrine.
- The Spider is lounging around at the marketplace. You can sneak up behind her for a quick assassination.
- Check the gravesite near the waterfall in Bally na Gall. It’s a village in southeastern Ulster (it’s east of Armagh). You can see it in the image below.
- Check the burned houses between Clogher and Black Pig’s Dyke. Clogher is in central Ulster, so just keep moving south to see the burned houses just before you reach Black Pig’s Dyke.
- Mark your target and you’ll find him close to Black Pig’s Dyke.
- Investigate Boyne Tombs to find a letter. The location is directly west of the Rathdown Trade Post in northern Dublin.
- Check the stone ritual circle near the small harbor along Boyne River. This one’s actually tricky, but you’ll find it along the riverbank between Kell’s Abbey and Annagh Doo (seen in the image below).
- Travel directly east through the bog to find The Whisper.
Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get any clues for The Ash. That’s because I accidentally killed him while searching for The Wren. To add more details, one of the clues for The Wren takes you to Port Auley which is also a Trade Post. A note there told me that the deed was in Kesh Corran in Connacht (just south of Port Auley).
So, like an intrepid adventurer, I went for the closer objective. Little did I know that The Ash was hiding there and I ended up assassinating him.
The Mist is also another Children of the Danu cultist that I stumbled upon while doing a Royal Demand. The objective was in Doon Fort, a small island in northwestern Ulster. While clearing the druids, it appears that I accidentally eliminated The Mist as well. Whoops!
Anyway, all of these targets aren’t really required to fight their leader. However, you might as well put an end to them if you wish to obtain the “Amber Sun” quest. In any case, let’s talk about the leader of the group, The Oak, in the next part of our guide.
The Oak: The leader of the Children of the Danu
The Oak is the head of the Children of the Danu, and you’ll fight up near the end of the campaign in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: Wrath of the Druids.
So, who exactly is the big bad here? Well, it’s none other than Eogan mac Cartaigh, the bishop who anointed Flann Sinna as High King of Ireland. He had already been interested in pagan rituals as a youth, realizing that being one with nature was better than the strict practices of Christianity.
However, by gaining more influence in the Church, he’d be able to strike at the enemies of druidism from within. The Oak attempts to ambush Flann Sinna and co., but the plot is foiled. Sadly, Barid dies while defending the High King.
What follows next is an assault on mac Cartaigh’s stronghold of Armagh. (I’ve only heard of it as one of the religious city-states in Civilization VI).
I digress. This is a lengthy offensive where Eivor, Flann Sinna, Sichfrith (Barid’s son), and the army will do battle against Armagh’s defenders.
Once you reach the chapel, you’ll find The Oak flanked by two guards. Eliminate them, then cut down The Oak. This will eventually lead to the final battle of the campaign, and it’s against an unexpected foe.
But, wait, what about the Children of the Danu arc? Well, assuming you’ve killed all the other members, you’ll receive a quest called “Amber Sun.” Let’s talk about that in a separate guide.
Continue Reading >>> Source link